We have all read the top regrets of dying people.
1. I never pursued my dreams and aspirations.
2. I worked too much and never made time for my family.
3. I should have made more time for my friends.
4. I should have said ‘I love you’ a lot more.
5. I should have spoken my mind instead of holding back and resenting things.
6. I should have been the bigger person and resolved my problems.
7. I wish I had children.
8. I should have saved more money for my retirement.
9. Not having the courage to live truthfully.
10. Happiness is a Choice, I wish I knew that earlier.
But what about the regrets of those who are left behind? At the risk of sounding a bit morbid here, I want you to think about this. If you lost your best friend/parents/partner tomorrow, what would be left for you? When we lose someone, all we have left is their memory. I know for a lot of people photography is something they don't want to do or don't want to invest in for whatever reason, hiring a professional is not the only solution here.
Let me introduce the Iphone. It's usually attached to us, so there is no reason we shouldn't have photographs of everyone we love. To take it one step further, you should also be in that photograph. Photographs do not have to be perfect to be valuable!
The photograph above was taken a few years ago, and is my now husband and his late Grandfather. I was not a great photographer, but guess what? A photograph from this mini impromptu lounge shoot went up at his funeral, and could have so easily not existed. For my husband though, this man is his hero and so these photographs are SO important. (I'll post another one below where everyone has their eyes open :P)
Relationships are everything. No one regrets not buying a house or not having enough shoes, they regret not saying I love you enough. So really, life is about love. Make sure you capture that love in a photograph while you can, because I can assure you it will mean EVERYTHING to you when it is all you have left, or all someone else has of you. To our angel Jim, you are loved and you are missed. X